Setting a strong foundation for students early can make all the difference. Having an accurate understanding of their English-language skills can help toguide them to reach their full potential. ETS’ TOEFL® Young Students Series helps measure your students’ English proficiency and guide them to the next steps of learning.
Intended for students ages 11+, the TOEFL Junior® tests are an objective, reliable measure of your students’ English communication skills that can help pinpoint their strengths and challenges.
Did you know?
- TOEFL Junior® Standard score reports come with a Lexile® measure to help you find books at the right difficulty level for your students.
- TOEFL Junior® tests offer a Certificate of Achievement you can award your students.
These assessments provide real insight into your students’ English communication skills to help you make the best decisions and guide them on a path to success. To better meet the expectations of English-language programmes worldwide, the TOEFL Junior tests exist in different formats and measure a wide range of skills:
- The TOEFL Junior Standard test is a paper-delivered or computer-delivered test that measures Reading Comprehension, Listening Comprehension, and Language Form and Meaning.
- The TOEFL Junior Speaking test is a computer-delivered test that measures students' English-speaking proficiency.
English programmes around the world trust the TOEFL Junior tests to help them make the best decisions about their students. Programme types include:
- English language programmes, for placement and progress monitoring.
- Exchange programs that bring international students to a country for one year, or prep schools that recruit international students.
- International schools where the language of instruction is English.
- Schools in non-English-speaking countries that focus on teaching content through English.
Available in paper or online format, the TOEFL Junior Standard test is easy and convenient to use. For institutions and programmes looking for flexibility and quick score turnaround, this English-level test is the right choice.
The ETS TOEFL Junior Standard test lasts 1hour and 55minutes, with a total of 126 questions. With total scores ranging from 600 to 900, this English-level assessment is divided into 3 sections:
- Listening Comprehension: this section lasts 40 minutes and is composed of 42 questions. Scores range from 200 to 300.
- Language Form and Meaning: this section lasts 25 minutes and is composed of 42 questions. Score range from 200 to 300.
- Reading Comprehension: this section lasts 50 minutes and is composed of 42 questions. Score range from 200 to 300.
The new mapping table between scores and the CEFR scale, effective from 5 June 2023.
Digitally- delivered, the TOEFL Junior Speaking test measures the skills needed to communicate successfully in English and gives you a complete look at students’ English-language proficiency.
It consists of the following:
- Number of Tasks: 4
- Score Range: 0-16
- Testing Time: 18 minutes
TOEFL Junior Speaking scores are mapped to the CEFR assessing levels A2 to B2.
The test scores are accompanied by performance descriptors to help teachers, students and parents better understand the meaning of the scores. In addition to a score report, the TOEFL Junior programme also offers Certificates of Achievement based on scores and CEFR levels that you can award to your students. It's one way to provide students and parents with a sense of accomplishment to keep students motivated and engaged.
Mastering English to make a difference
Are you an academic institution?
We believe that equal opportunities and motivation are essential for your students to achieve their goals.
I sat the TOEFL iBT test during my Master’s application process, it was huge asset in my case. I got a high score, thanks to that I got a scholarship.
I prepared for the TOEFL ITP test with the official preparation book, which allowed me to validate it with a great score!