The TOEIC® Listening and Reading test has become a standard for decision makers worldwide. The test measures beginner to advanced English Listening and Reading comprehension skills and determine if someone studying English as a foreign language can communicate effectively and proficiently in English, across borders and cultures with co-workers and clients.
Did you know?
- Paper or online formats make it easy to administer anytime, anywhere.
- The TOEIC test delivers accurate, reliable scores that you can trust.
The TOEIC test is an English language proficiency test for non-native speakers. It measures written and oral comprehension skills in everyday professional and international settings.
English is the language of international opportunities. Whether you are an employee, student, or job seeker, TOEIC scores can help you achieve your goals, such as:
- Standing out in the job market
- Demonstrating your ability to communicate in English with international colleagues and clients
- Preparing for the job market, monitoring your progress in English, and improving your skills
- Obtaining the necessary qualifications to earn a new position and/or promotion in an international company
- Completing a degree or meeting a graduation requirement
- Evaluating, reinforcing and verifying your English language proficiency
The TOEIC Listening and Reading test is available in:
- A linear, 2-hour format. The test can be taken either online or in print format
- An adaptive, 1-hour format. The test is taken online.
Test takers at a language school or academic institution will take either the linear, 2-hour version, or the adaptive, 1-hour version.
The level of difficulty, scoring scale and corresponding CEFR levels are identical.
Structure of the linear, 2-hour test
- Listening section: 100 questions, 45 minutes
- Reading section: 100 questions, 75 minutes
- Total: 200 questions, 2 hours.
Structure of the adaptive, 1-hour test
For each section, test takers answer a set of questions (Unit 1) that is the same for everyone. After completing Unit 1, test takers move on to Unit 2 and answer different questions based on their performance on Unit 1.
- Listening section: 45 questions (Unit 1 and Unit 2), 25 minutes
- Reading section: 45 questions (Unit 1 and Unit 2), 37 minutes
- Total: 90 questions, approximately 1 hour.
This test consists of two sections: Listening and Reading. The test taker answers multiple-choice questions (MCQs) within the allotted time. The type of questions is the same whether the test is administered online or in print format, or is linear (2 hours) or adaptive (1 hour).
The Listening section
The Listening section assesses the level of proficiency in understanding spoken English. It consists of four parts. You will be asked to answer questions based on a variety of statements, questions, short conversations and short recorded speeches in English.
- Part 1: Photographs
- Part 2: Questions and Answers
- Part 3: Conversations
- Part 4: Presentations / Announcements
The Reading Comprehension
The Reading section comprises three parts to assess your level of understanding of written English. You will read different documents and answer questions related to the content of these documents.
- Part 5: Incomplete Sentences
- Part 6: Complete Texts
- Part 7: Reading of various content
TOEIC Listening and Reading test sessions are held in public and private centres.
Take the test at a public centre
As a test taker, you can sign up directly through our website by clicking on the "Register" button at the top right of this page. Depending on your availability and location, you can find a public testing centre and sign up right away.
When you sign up, you will have to upload a photo that will appear on the score report with your results. You must upload your passport photo before the day of the test. If you do not upload your passport photo, one will be taken by the test supervisor on the day of the test.
When you take the test at a public testing centre, you will receive an official digital score report with your photo. The scores and official score report are accepted worldwide. ETS Global provides on-demand score verification for 2 years to all institutions wishing to confirm a score.
Take the test through your language school or academic institution
Are you taking an English course that includes the TOEIC test? Are you taking the TOEIC test as part of your academic program?
Your language school or academic institution will provide you with all the information you need to sign up for and take the test.
Test takers can access CPF* funding for the TOEIC test. Learn more about the TOEIC test.
Your language school or academic institution will receive your score and send it to you. Scores and institutional score certificates are valid for two years in the country where you took the test.
*Compte Personnel Formation
To take the test, you will need to bring a valid form of identification with your name, signature, and a recent, recognisable photo, as well as two HB pencils* (if you are taking the test in print format).
For TOEIC test sessions, on the day of the test, you will be asked to sign an entry form that will be provided to you either via email during the registration process or onsite by the testing centre administrative staff. This entry form is required to take the test and will be collected by the testing centre administrative staff at the end of the testing session.
In order to be fully informed about the test procedure and acceptable identification documents, each test taker must read the Candidate Handbook. You will find this document in the "Test Information" section on the right side of this page.
By becoming a client of ETS Global, you can offer TOEIC sessions at your school, or remotely with proctoring provided by our partner, ProctorExam.
You can administer the TOEIC test in print or online formats, and:
- Schedule sessions for the day and time of your choice
- Choose the room and number of test takers
- Schedule the session up to 15 minutes before the start (for online tests)
- Receive scores in an Excel file (within 2 hours for online tests).
Partner with ETS Global to integrate the TOEIC test into your training program. The TOEIC test can be taken online at your location.
- Organise sessions for the day and time of your choice
- Choose the room and number of test takers
- Schedule the session up to 15 minutes before it begins
- Receive scores within 2 hours (Excel file sent by email).
Within the framework of the CPF, your learners can also take the test remotely.
The TOEIC Listening and Reading is not a pass/fail test. There is no penalty for wrong answers. Test results indicate your English proficiency levels for listening and reading.
The score for each section (Listening and Reading) is determined by the number of correct answers, which is then converted to a scaled score ranging from 5-495 points and a CEFR level A1 to C1. The total scaled score is determined by adding the two scaled scores together. The Score Certificate provides Listening, Reading and total scaled scores.
In addition, seven language proficiency descriptions are provided in the Score Certificates (three for the Listening Section and four for the Reading Section).
Scores are used to measure a learner’s English proficiency at the time the test is administered. Because English language skills may improve or decline over time, ETS Global and Representatives will re-issue and confirm score results for 2 years after taking the test.
- Total time: 2 hours or 1 hour
- Format: paper-and-pencil or online
- Levels assessed: Beginner to Advanced (A1 to C1 on the CEFR)
- Recommended score validity: 2 years
- Skills assessed: “receptive” skills (Listening and Reading) with multiple choice questions
- Discounts available for: students, military and unemployed test takers
- What to bring? A valid ID and 2 pencils
Rely on a universal assessment
Are you working or looking for a job?
More than ever, companies are hiring and promoting individuals with strong English language skills to work in international businesses. Adding an English certification score to a CV is essential to gain a competitive edge to stand out.
I am looking for a job abroad, I want to boost my resume with a TOEIC test score
The official preparation book was very useful to prepare for the TOEIC Speaking and Writing tests, I also benefited from the help of a teacher which help improved my English proficiency.
To get a promotion at work, I needed to take the TOEIC test. I practiced with official online preparation tools.
I sat the TOEFL iBT test during my Master’s application process, it was huge asset in my case. I got a high score, thanks to that I got a scholarship.