As more and more countries are introducing English as a second language at earlier stages of learning, the needs of an English test for secondary schools is increasing. The TOEFL Primary® tests set the right foundation for the successful development of English-language skills.
They are intended for students ages 8+ and are offered as three different tests: the Reading and Listening Test — Step 1, the Reading and Listening Test — Step 2 and the Speaking test.
Did you know?
- MetaMetrics® Lexile® reading measures are linked to TOEFL Primary scores to make it easier to select books at students' reading levels
- Each test offers a Certificate of Achievement you can present to your students
The TOEFL Primary tests are the first step on a student's path to reaching their full potential. The tests measure students' English communication skills and progress in English classes and provide meaningful feedback about their abilities both to you and to their parents.
The TOEFL Primary tests are designed to:
- Assess the general English-language proficiency of young students ages 8+.
- Provide a snapshot of each student's ability in listening, reading and speaking.
- Support teaching and learning by giving information about students' abilities in relation to a widely accepted international standard.
Depending on school curricula and other factors, young students acquire their English abilities at different times and in different ways. The TOEFL Primary programme offers three tests to measure a range of skills:
- the paper-delivered Reading and Listening test — Step 1
- the paper-delivered Reading and Listening test — Step 2
- the computer-delivered Speaking test
This test assesses students' knowledge, skills and abilities to fulfil core communication goals in English. This test is designed for young students at the beginning stages of learning English.
The TOEFL Primary Reading and Listening Test – Step 1 is available in paper or digital format and measures the English reading and listening proficiencies of young students who have acquired some communicative English skills. It is composed of two sections of 30 minutes each. The Reading section had 36 questions and 3 examples, while the Listening section had 36 questions and 5 examples. The test covers:
- Familiar contexts (school, home, playground)
- Basic formulaic expressions
- Basic vocabulary and phrases related to common objects and people
- Short and simple requests and directions
- Short and simple text relevant to everyday experiences
The TOEFL Primary® Reading and Listening Test – Step 2 is intended for students who have acquired some communicative English skills. It is composed of two sections of 30 minutes each. The Reading section had 36 questions and 1 example, while the Listening section had 36 questions and 3 examples. The test covers:
- Basic expressions, requests, phrases and directions
- Simple short stories and conversations on topics beyond everyday experiences
- Unfamiliar words given sufficient amount of contextual clues
- Simple content-based texts
The TOEFL Primary® Speaking test is a digitally delivered test of English-speaking proficiency for young students at various levels of English‐language learning. Composed of 7 to 10 questions, this English-level assessment lasts 20 minutes and covers:
- Giving simple descriptions
- Expressing basic emotions, feelings and opinions
- Making simple requests
- Asking questions
- Giving directions
- Explaining and sequencing simple events
- Total time TOEFL Primary Reading and Listening tests: 20 minutes to 1 hour
- Format TOEFL Primary Reading and Listening tests: paper or online delivery
- Total time TOEFL Primary Speaking test: 20 minutes
- Format TOEFL Primary Speaking test: online delivered
- Recommended score validity: 1 year
Mastering English to make a difference
Are you an academic institution?
We believe that equal opportunities and motivation are essential for your students to achieve their goals.
I sat the TOEFL iBT test during my Master’s application process, it was huge asset in my case. I got a high score, thanks to that I got a scholarship.
I prepared for the TOEFL ITP test with the official preparation book, which allowed me to validate it with a great score!