The TOEIC® Listening and Reading test has become a standard for decision makers worldwide. The test measures beginner to advanced English Listening and Reading comprehension skills and determine if someone studying English as a foreign language can communicate effectively and proficiently in English, across borders and cultures with co-workers and clients.
Did you know?
- Paper or online formats make it easy to administer anytime, anywhere.
- The TOEIC test delivers accurate, reliable scores that you can trust.
All TOEIC tests are specifically created to assess the language proficiency in real-life work situations.
TOEIC Listening and Reading test scores provide meaningful feedback about a test taker’s strengths and areas of improvement, along with a description of the skills belonging to test takers at various levels.
The objectives of the TOEIC® Listening and Reading test
English is the language of global opportunity. Whether you are an employee, a student or a job applicant, TOEIC scores can help you achieve your goals by:
- making you a stronger candidate for global organisations
- demonstrating your ability to communicate with co-workers and clients from many cultures
- helping you prepare for the workplace, tracking your progress and showing how much your skills have improved
- improving your chances at receiving a promotion or prestigious international assignment
- validating a diploma or as a graduation criterion
- evaluating, increasing and proving your English fluency
The TOEIC Listening and Reading test is a paper or online assessment based on multiple choice questions with two timed sections of 100 questions each. It lasts 2 hours and 30 minutes. The test does not require special knowledge, vocabulary or grammar beyond English used in everyday life and work activity.
The Listening section
The Listening section assesses how well test takers understand spoken English. In this section, test takers listen to short passages in English and answer a variety of questions. It consists of four parts and 100 test questions, and lasts 45 minutes:
- Part 1: Photographs
- Part 2: Question-Response
- Part 3: Conversations
- Part 4: Short talks
The Reading Comprehension
The Reading Comprehension section measures how well test takers understand written English. In this section, test takers read materials and answer questions at their own pace. Passages use real-world workplace conversations. The test consists of three parts and 100 test questions, and it lasts 75 minutes:
- Part 5: Incomplete Sentences
- Part 6: Text Comprehension
- Part 7: Reading Comprehension
Offer only for language schools
You can now administer the TOEIC Listening and Reading test online on a computer within your school. The TOEIC online test has the same specifications as the TOEIC paper test: time, number of questions, maximum and minimum scores, correlation on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
The TOEIC online test is: more flexible, less administrative, faster scoring availability, and the accuracy of a TOEIC score.
The benefits of the test
What are the advantages for your language school?
- Organise the session on the day and at the time of your choice
- Choose the room and the number of candidates
- Plan the session up to 15 minutes before it starts
- Receive the scores in 2 hours maximum
What are the advantages for candidates?
- Scores displayed directly at the end of the test
- Official Score Certificate and Score Report (upon request)
The TOEIC Listening and Reading is not a pass/fail test. There is no penalty for wrong answers. Test results indicate your English proficiency levels for listening and reading.
The score for each section (Listening and Reading) is determined by the number of correct answers, which is then converted to a scaled score ranging from 5-495 points and a CEFR level A1 to C1. The total scaled score is determined by adding the two scaled scores together. The Score Certificate provides Listening, Reading and total scaled scores.
In addition, seven language proficiency descriptions are provided in the Score Certificates (three for the Listening Section and four for the Reading Section).
Scores are used to measure a learner’s English proficiency at the time the test is administered. Because English language skills may improve or decline over time, ETS Global and Representatives will re-issue and confirm score results for 2 years after taking the test.
To take a test, you will need to bring a valid ID featuring your name, signature and a recent photograph, as well as two pencils with erasers. Please note that you are not allowed to keep your personal belongings with you while taking the test. Some test centres will provide lockers for your use.
On the test day, you will be required to sign an admission form which will be provided by email during the test registration process or in person. This form is required to take the test and will be collected at the end of the test session. You will need to upload a photograph when you register for the test. All photos are reviewed and in the event of non-compliance with our photo guidelines, photos will be retaken on test day.
- Total time: 2 hours
- Format: paper-and-pencil or online
- Levels assessed: Beginner to Advanced (A1 to C1 on the CEFR)
- Recommended score validity: 2 years
- Skills assessed: “receptive” skills (Listening and Reading) with multiple choice questions
- Discounts available for: students, military and unemployed test takers
- What to bring? A valid ID and 2 pencils
Prepare for the test TOEIC® Listening and Reading test
Online preparation tools
Discover our selection of online preparation tools to practice for the test.
Discover our selection of books to practice for the test.
Rely on a universal assessment
Are you working or looking for a job?
More than ever, companies are hiring and promoting individuals with strong English language skills to work in international businesses. Adding an English certification score to a CV is essential to gain a competitive edge to stand out.
I am looking for a job abroad, I want to boost my resume with a TOEIC test score
The official preparation book was very useful to prepare for the TOEIC Speaking and Writing tests, I also benefited from the help of a teacher which help improved my English proficiency.
To get a promotion at work, I needed to take the TOEIC test. I practiced with official online preparation tools.
I sat the TOEFL iBT test during my Master’s application process, it was huge asset in my case. I got a high score, thanks to that I got a scholarship.