The TOEFL iBT® test measures the ability to use and understand academic English. This certification is an asset for international mobility in over 160 countries, enabling you to join more than 12,000 institutions: USA, UK, Canada, Spain, Japan, etc... but also in France, to join one of the many English-speaking programs. This test is a world reference. More than 35 million people worldwide have attested to their English language proficiency by taking the TOEFL iBT test. The test assesses written and oral comprehension and expression skills in an academic context from intermediate to advanced levels. The TOEFL iBT is now offered at test centers and via the Home Edition. This means that students can now take the TOEFL iBT in 2 convenient ways:
- On computer, at a test centre
- On computer, at home
Did you know?
- The TOEFL iBT® test is the most popular certification for students. It is also preferred by universities, thanks to its 100% fair and unbiased scoring system.
- It differs from the TOEFL® Essentials™ test and from the TOEIC® test in terms of content, usage, and skills assessed. Click here to learn more.
Step 1: Create a TOEFL account
To create your account, click on this link.
Have your identity document ready:
- for nationals of the Schengen area: identity card, passport, driving licence
- for nationals of a country outside the Schengen area: passport or residence permit
Please note that it is important to:
- Fill in all your first and last names as they appear on the identity document you will present on test day. Please ensure that you fill in all your first names in the first name box only.
- respect the spelling of your surnames & first names as written on your identity document except for accents and special characters (ç, é, è, à, ë, ê, etc.).
By logging into your TOEFL account, you will have access to the test sessions currently available and you will be able to select your own.
Step 2: Choose a test session
Once you have created your account, you can choose to take the TOEFL iBT test:
- At a test center. In this case, select the TOEFL iBT (at a test center) option, indicate the city and the period in which you wish to take the test.
- Remotely, with the Home Edition of the TOEFL iBT test. In this case, select TOEFL iBT Home Edition.
Please note that the TOEFL Essentials® option is a different certification! Click here to find out more.
Register as soon as possible!
Registering in advance (between 4 and 6 weeks before the desired date) will allow you to have more choices of sessions to take the test near you, on a date that suits you and to have the results on time for your applications.
For more information, watch this video on how to register for the TOEFL iBT test.
Accepted by more than 11,500 universities and other institutions in over 160 countries, the TOEFL iBT® test evaluates how well your reading, listening, speaking and writing skills have prepared you to perform academic tasks.
Compared to other English-language tests, the TOEFL® test offers a number of advantages to help you stand out from other applicants. Only this English assessment prepares you for universities’ English language requirements and helps ensure you go to your university better prepared than students who have not taken the TOEFL® test.
The average level of English language skill ranges from Intermediate to Advanced. These levels allow:
- Students to study at institutions of higher education
- English-language learning programs to determine admissions
- Candidates to earn scholarships and certifications
- English-language learners to track their progress
- Students and workers to apply for visas
There are two ways to take the TOEFL iBT test.
- In an authorized center. Several centers are available throughout France and allow candidates to take the test after selecting a date and time for the session, by presenting only a valid identity document.
- Remotely with the Home Edition of the TOEFL iBT test which allows you to take the test from home with your own computer equipment. Click here to learn everything about the Home Edition.
The TOEFL iBT® test is in English and administered digitally. The assessment is divided into 4 sections. During the test, you will be asked to perform tasks that combine language skills, such as:
- Reading: Read passages and respond to questions
- Listening: Answer questions about brief lectures or classroom discussions
- Speaking: Talk about a familiar topic and discuss material you read and heard
- Writing: Read a passage, listen to a recording, type your response.State and support an opinion in an online classroom discussion.
The TOEFL iBT Reading section
You will be asked to read 3 or 4 passages from academic texts and answer 10 questions for each passage. The Reading section lasts 35 minutes.
The TOEFL iBT Listening section
The Listening section lasts 36 minutes. You will be asked to listen to lectures, classroom discussions and conversation and answer questions.
The TOEFL iBT Speaking section
The Speaking section lasts 16 minutes. You will be asked to express an opinion on a familiar topic and provide oral responses to reading and listening tasks.
The TOEFL iBT Writing section
The "Writing for an Academic Discussion" task that lasts 29 minutes. In this task, test takers will be asked to state and support an opinion on a given topic in an online class discussion.
No matter what your level of English is, preparation for the TOEFL iBT test is an essential step in achieving the desired score. At the same B1+/B2 level, the various tasks will be accomplished more easily and efficiently if you are used to the test format.
A variety of preparation tools are available to support you, including the MOOC TOEFL® Test Preparation: The Insider's Guide, and the TOEFL iBT® Free Practice Test.
Discover all our resources and start your preparation now!
For the TOEFL iBT® test, your scores will be based on your performance on the test questions. There is no passing or failing TOEFL® score.
Each section is graded from 0 to 30. The total score range is 0 to 120.
How long does it take to receive your score?
- TOEFL iBT at a test centre: 6 days after the test date
- TOEFL iBT Home Edition: 6 to 10 days after the test date
- TOEFL iBT Paper Edition: 11 to 13 days after the test date
In addition to your scores, you will also receive feedback that reflects your performance level and a description of the kinds of tasks that test takers within your reported score range can typically do.
The TOEFL iBT® test also features MyBest® Score which combines test-takers’ best scores for each section from all of their valid TOEFL iBT® scores in the last two years. MyBest® scores give test takers a way to show their best overall test performance. All TOEFL iBT score reports sent after August 1st, 2019, regardless of when the test was taken, will automatically include MyBest scores along with the traditional scores.
Starting on or around November 13, 2023, TOEFL iBT score reports received by test takers will feature an updated design. As part of our ongoing efforts to enhance the TOEFL iBT experience, we’ve transitioned to a more modern and visually intuitive look. More importantly, we are now providing test takers with deeper insights and performance feedback to help them better understand their scores, drive their continued English development, and succeed in the classroom and beyond. If you’d like to learn more about this enhanced score reporting for test takers, please visit our website.
Requests for accommodations are made after account creation via an online form available through your TOEFL account. It is important that you do not register for a test session before requesting accommodations.
Download the pdf TOEFL iBT® Bulletin Supplement for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs for more information.
- Total time: less than 2 hours
- Format: with a computer, at a test center or remotely
- Score validity: 2 years
- Skills assessed: Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing
- What to bring: A valid ID
- Schengen area nationals: identity card, passport, driving licence
- Nationals of a country outside the Schengen area: passport or residence permit
A brighter future within reach
Are you a student?
When studying or looking for a first job, having an English certification is a significant advantage to stand out of the crowd.
I sat the TOEFL iBT test during my Master’s application process, it was huge asset in my case. I got a high score, thanks to that I got a scholarship.
I am looking for a job abroad, I want to boost my resume with a TOEIC test score
To validate my degree, I needed a score of at least 800 points. My university gave me access to a platform to practice.