The enhanced TOEFL iBT test
Aligned with the core mission to advance quality and equity in education worldwide, at ETS Global, we hold the test taker experience and feedback in the same high regard as providing the utmost quality, security, fairness, and reliability in our English-language assessments. With the ongoing dedication to this end, we are glad to announce exciting enhancements that will be introduced to the TOEFL iBT test as of July 26, 2023, when TOEFL iBT will be:
- the only test that measures all 4 academic English skills the way they are actually used in academic setting
- the shortest of the most commonly taken English proficiency tests world-wide, taking less than 2 hours to complete.
Here are they key changes test takers will benefit from over the next few months. Beginning July 26, the TOEFL iBT test can be completed in under two hours as a result of:
- streamlined test instructions and navigation throughout the test
- removal of all unscored test questions
- new, more modern TOEFL iBT writing task, which replaces the independent writing (essay) task, a so-called discussion forum contribution task.
- one passage less to read and respond to within the Reading section.
The registration process will also become more customer friendly.
It is still the renowned TOEFL iBT test and has now been improved to offer an even better experience. The test score-scale, and CEFR level cut scores will remain the same as well as the question types that are included in the Reading, Listening and Speaking sections. Therefore, there is no need to change the current studying approach and preparation techniques.