The TOEIC® Speaking and Writing tests assess candidates’ beginner to advanced English communication skills for the workplace, from telephone conversations and presentations to writing emails and letters.
The TOEIC® Speaking and Writing tests have become a gold standard used by decision-makers worldwide. Individuals use the TOEIC® tests to determine if language learners can use English effectively to communicate with co-workers and clients around the world.
Did you know?
- Speaking skills are important for making effective presentations, having face-to-face communication, meetings, videoconferencing, teleconferencing and phone calls.
- Writing skills are necessary for drafting clear, persuasive emails and other forms of business correspondence.
The TOEIC Speaking and Writing tests are accurate assessments of English-language speaking and writing skills for the workplace. The TOEIC Speaking and Writing tests can be taken together or separately.
Whether you are an employee, a student, or a job applicant, TOEIC scores can help you achieve your goals by:
- making you a stronger candidate for global organisations
- demonstrating your ability to communicate with co-workers and clients from many cultures
- improving your chances at receiving a promotion or prestigious international assignment
- helping you prepare for the workplace, tracking your progress and showing how much your skills have improved
- verifying your skills with a certificate
- proving your English fluency
If taken together, the tests take in total 1hour 20minutes to complete. Test takers speak and write in English and provide answers to real-life questions and scenarios. The test does not require special knowledge or vocabulary beyond that of a person using everyday English.
These tests are divided into 2 sections that can be taken together or separately: Speaking Comprehension and Writing Comprehension.
The TOEIC® Speaking test
The TOEIC Speaking test is designed to provide information about the English-speaking language ability of speakers across a range of English proficiency as a second language. It consists of 11 test questions and lasts 20 minutes:
- Tasks 1-2: Read a text aloud
- Task 3: Describe a picture
- Tasks 4-6: Respond to questions
- Tasks 7-9: Respond to questions using provided information
- Task 10: Propose a solution
- Task 11: Express an opinion
The TOEIC® Writing test
The TOEIC Writing test provides useful information about the English-writing ability of test-takers across a range of proficiency levels. It consists of 8 questions and lasts 60 minutes:
- Tasks 1-5: Write a sentence based on a picture
- Tasks 6-7: Respond to a written request
- Tasks 8: Write an opinion-based essay
TOEIC Speaking and Writing tests are not pass/fail assessments. There is no penalty for wrong answers. Tests measure different levels of ability, and a single, continuous scale enables you to set attainable goals and measure your progress.
Speaking test scores and Writing test scores are delivered separately. Each is based on a scale of 0-200. Scores for both tests are mapped to Common European Framework of Reference for Languages levels A1 to C1.
Scores measure your English proficiency at the time the test is administered. Because English-language skills may improve or decline over time, score reports cannot be reissued if more than two years have passed since you took the test.
Before taking the TOEIC Speaking and Writing tests, you can do several things to prepare and to improve your English proficiency. Becoming familiar with the test format will allow you to then focus your attention on the questions themselves rather than on the format.
Immerse yourself in the language as frequently as possible and in as many ways as possible if it has been some time since you have had contact with English. Reading, watching TV and videos, listening to recordings, taking an English course and speaking with friends and colleagues are some of the ways to practice English.
- Total time: 1h20
- Format: computer based
- Levels assessed: Beginner to Advanced (A1 to C1 on the CEFR)
- Recommended score validity: 2 years
- Skills assessed: “productive” skills (Speaking and Writing) with open-ended questions
- Discounts available for: students, military and unemployed test takers
- What to bring? 2 valid identifications
Rely on a universal assessment
Are you working or looking for a job?
More than ever, companies are hiring and promoting individuals with strong English language skills to work in international businesses. Adding an English certification score to a CV is essential to gain a competitive edge to stand out.
I am looking for a job abroad, I want to boost my resume with a TOEIC test score
The official preparation book was very useful to prepare for the TOEIC Speaking and Writing tests, I also benefited from the help of a teacher which help improved my English proficiency.
To get a promotion at work, I needed to take the TOEIC test. I practiced with official online preparation tools.
I sat the TOEFL iBT test during my Master’s application process, it was huge asset in my case. I got a high score, thanks to that I got a scholarship.